DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2015

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Zielfelder, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:33:57 +0000
Having started out as a CAM tech at a PCB fabricator I have a high degree of confidence in the software that is used at the FAB houses and their ability to use the power I'm giving them responsibly.  I've never had a problem with a defect related to the addition of fillets at the fab house.  Most of the data/image related defects I've seen from fab shops have more to do with inadvertent deletion of traces or pads, missing solder mask clearances, or incorrectly sized holes.

Putting the allowance right on the print allows the fabricator to add fillets if they feel they need them without stopping the job to ask and potentially missing the delivery schedule.  I see your point, and don't completely disagree with it.  However, I think board shops are more likely to deliver a good quality product on time and for a reasonable price if they feel I'm working with them rather than waiting to pounce on them if they screw up.

If the board shops you are working with can't be trusted to meet their published capabilities, it might be time to look for new ones.