DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2015

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Zielfelder, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:26:50 +0000
For Rigid boards and Type4 Rigid/Flex I generally try to make pads big enough so that tear dropping isn't necessary.  In areas where I don't have sufficient annular ring, I will add fillets or use an oblong pad if space allows.
If I have a connector or other device that may see some mechanical stress and has relatively thin traces entering relatively large pads I will add fillets if there are no electrical constraints to worry about.

For a type 3 or lower flex board I will usually add fillets unless there is a compelling reason not to.

When I release a design that isn't 100% filleted and non-critical (even if I have sufficient annular ring on the pads), I usually include a print note that allows the fabricator to add fillets at their discretion and provide some size and spacing constraints for them to meet.  For high speed or other critical designs where fillets would cause problems electrically, I add a note forbidding the fabricator from adding them.

--Rz