TECHNET Archives

February 2015

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:09:55 +0000
Yes, you especially need to be careful of pressure, but also need to be careful not to extend the reflow profile any longer or hotter than necessary. In an earlier life I have actually had BGA pads that were unattached to traces lift off the PWB into the solder joints during reflow. When looking in the X-ray, many solder balls had a straight side, ie, they were "D" shaped, and the straight side was positioned randomly. It was not until we removed the BGA with a "normal" rework profile did we realize what had happened. We also noticed pads were easily lifted during what we considered to be "normal" touchup. We were able to modify our processes to reduce heat application and limit dwell times to successfully complete the builds, but it was not easy. I try to stay away from that PCB material if at all possible. However, it does have some very good operational characteristics with respect to signal loss in very high RF circuits, so it is probably a good material to "get good at", so to speak.