TECHNET Archives

February 2015

From:
Lamar Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lamar Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:41:15 -0500
Tan,

I would recommend splitting the sample group into two sets and to perform
adhesion testing before and after thermal shock.
Or, you could just perform adhesion testing after thermal cycling and if
adhesion is acceptable then there is no reason to do adhesion testing
prior to cycling.  But, if adhesion is not acceptable, then you'll have to
work backwards to identify if the adhesion was acceptable prior to cycling
after coating.

A point to consider though is if there is a change after thermal cycling,
such as the adhesion decreases, to not to jump to a conclusion that
something bad is happening to the Parylene.  It may be possible that other
factors could contribute to a loss of adhesion, such as processing
residues being baked out from the substrate during the cycling and forcing
a loss in the coating adhesion.  Ideally, the pre-coating processing would
remove such residues prior to coating, but I am not aware of the exact
details of your process/application.

A couple words regarding the test methods.  The ASTM is more widely used.
I've not heard a good explanation for the 3 hour immersion in boiling
water.  To my knowledge, I don't think ASTM has solved the issue regarding
specifying a replacement tape for the Permacel which is no longer
available.  The issue with the TM-650 is that 3M makes two different 600's
with different adhesive levels and the method does not specify which 600
to use.

Lamar Young
Specialty Coating Systems, Inc.
7645 Woodland Dr.