TECHNET Archives

February 2015

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2015 15:29:06 +0000
Excellent example; compared to SAC305, there is an 8 deg. C difference. 8 deg. C. does not sound like a lot, but 8 deg. C is actually quite a bit compared to 8 deg. F.

So you cannot assume all "lead-free" alloys melt at the same temperature, and some are eutectic, others are not, and some are most definitely not (have an extended pasty range).
These are all things to consider, especially when dealing with selective solder machines, wave solder machines, and rework solder fountain machine settings and temperature settings.
I consider the "radical departure" alloys such as SnBi to be in a different class of lead-free altogether. To me, lead-free typically means alloys such as Sn100, Sn100C, SAC305, KL100D and other closely related alloys with very similar properties. SnBi does not exhibit properties similar to those.