TECHNET Archives

January 2015

From:
GRIVON Arnaud <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, GRIVON Arnaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:40:42 +0100
Victor,

To avoid a fourth call...

The upside down mounting (overcoat facing the PCB) of thick-film resistors or resistor arrays is not considered as a defect condition per IPC-A-610 (revisions E or F, but as a process indicator for IPC classes 2 & 3 applications.
I guess this would be treated as a defect if there was a known impact on functionality.

On this topic, you might be interested by the joint IBM-SK HYNIX paper of the last 2014 SMTAi conference entitled "Mitigation of Resistor Silver Sulfide Corrosion Through Design and SMT Process Optimization".
In this paper, the use of reverse R-nets was investigated as a way to mitigate the silver sulfide corrosion of resistor array terminations that commonly occurs under certain data center environments.
These reverse R-nets were introduced to improve the resistance to mechanical damages such as the ones resulting from mis-handling and hence reduce the propensity of terminal corrosion.
It was found to be a quite efficient mitigation practice using adequate design and assembly process rules.
The paper outlines that reverse resistors/R-nets came around 2010 and that they are now implemented in volume production for DIMMs.
Best regards,

A. Grivon