TECHNET Archives

January 2015

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:01:10 -0500
Steve,

Surface finish does cause issues with ENIPIG, as far as I'm concerned, but
there really is very little you can do about it (up to a point).

Bonding to ENIPEG on a mirror smooth surface is always easier... It is just
getting there that is the $$ problem.

The platings are so thin, they will always reflect the underlying surface
finish.

This is another factor in your qualification matrix.  Not to trivialize it,
but this ultimately becomes something you have to live with/work around.
With electrolytic gold you masked many of the asperities with a nice cushy
layer of gold and didn’t even think about it.

Can surface roughness cause an issue?  Yes, but I see it more along the
lines of abrasion caused during packing and shipping.  If no interleaf paper
is placed between the panels [and sometimes even if there is], the panels
rubbing back and forth tend to polish off the gold and palladium, exposing
the underlying Ni at the peaks.  The nickel oxidizes and affects
solderability and wire bondability.  No amount of realistic plasma cleaning
remedies that!

But with proper handling and storage even slightly 'rough' surfaces are
quite bondable - provided you don’t have the nickel oxide problem.

My two bits

Steve Creswick
Sr Associate - Balanced Enterprise Solutions
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevencreswick
                         616 834 1883