TECHNET Archives

January 2015

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:30:31 +0000
Hi Steve-

Being a mix of metals, with the bondable layer extremely thin, there are
more risks. We didn't have great luck with that finish, but that's probably
because we were used to nice, thick, soft gold, which can be screwed up, but
there's enough of it done that the providers have decent processes for
testing the bondability internally.

As far as I've heard, there are no differences in process temperature for
working with this finish. I would be extremely nervous trying to do fine
pitch with this finish because the tiny area allowed for the stitch bond has
more of a tendency to dig deeply into the surface. Reverse bonding can
resolve that.

So get a sample and qualify prior to commitment.

Wayne