TECHNET Archives

December 2014

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:02:18 +0000
And one more thing I would like to add, if you are looking at hand-held camera-type inspection systems, stay far away from those that are made with a plastic housing. Most of these generate huge amounts of static and should not be used around electronics. In fact, there was even a GUIDEP alert for this. The manufacturers of these "inspection systems" have absolutely no knowledge or awareness of ESD with respect to using them as electronics inspection systems. When I inquired as to their suitability for use in our industry from an ESD standpoint, their response was "What is ESD?" They also said "Our product has been used by all of these different large companies with no indication of any ESD issues". Well, of course not. Who woulda thunk it?