TECHNET Archives

December 2014

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2014 14:27:11 +0000
Altium's user interface, and particularly that of Camtastic, the internal
gerber viewer/manipulator, is notoriously horrendous. So we all feel your
pain!

Note that there's a checkbox in the photoplot generator module for whether to
omit unconnected pads or not. Altium doesn't recognize any kind of via or pad
library, so there's no way to set or re-set this feature for just power nets.
And Altium "just plane" refuses to put out pads on plane layers. (For that
reason and other annoyances, I don't use plane layers.

I export gerbers, then load them into Pentalogix ViewMate. The Viewer program
is distributed free, and is probably the most popular gerber viewer in the
world. For $100, you get a high performance gerber manipulator so you can
easily fix Altium's errors (and a $100 coupon for a board run). They of course
sell higher levels with more features also, but you probably won't need any of
them.

Using ViewMate Deluxe to get pads for selected drills is pretty easy, even on
Altium plane layers, but requires a few tricks. If you go this route, I can
help you out.

Wayne Thayer