TECHNET Archives

December 2014

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 07:50:00 -0600
Hi Anil - unfortunately you can't revise the laws of physics so any tin
plating you use - brite or matte - has the potential to initiated and grow
tin whiskers. In fact, the majority of the tin whisker research and
investigations current being conducted today use brite acid tin plating as
their control because it does consistently, repeatably produces tin
whiskers. If you want a finish that does not produce whiskers, you need to
select something other than tin.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins