TECHNET Archives

November 2014

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 08:31:39 -0500
Sure.  Use whatever bright tin you want.  See if you can measure the compressive stress in the deposit - like plate a coiled spring and see how much it deflects after plating -from day to day.

BUT, if you use bright tin, be sure ALL tin on the component leads or circuit boards are covered by lead-containing solder.  Most important - use a stiff conformal coating OVER everything you have plated with electrolytic tin.

Despite manufacturer claims, I do not believe any electrolytic tin is whisker free forever - bright or matte.  So much of tin whisker initiation depends on factors besides the tin brightner formulation that I would not trust any tin electroplate to be whisker free for 20 years.  MITIGATE, or find something besides pure electrolytic tin.

Denny Fritz