TECHNET Archives

October 2014

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 00:28:44 -0400
OK Joyce, I will go along with that concerning counterfeit however in
the Nuclear world we have components that are 30+ years old and failing.
The manufacturers have long since stopped production and 20+ years past
support, and some are long gone.   In order to keep the equipment
running reliably requires reverse engineering to try and figure / design
a suitable replacement, or have another engineering firm reinvent the
wheel at huge revenue outlay, JT-21 cost us $35000 each for a suitable
replacement.

I have went through the gambit with the fake Nichecon caps in '04
vintage Dell computers.

pat

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Yuan-chia Joyce Koo wrote:

> [...]
> return some of faulty fake units for R and O to the company ...), not
> until we figure out hard pot the IC on  to the unit in such a way it
> was almost impossible to take it off without damage the unit.... The
> sales went  up right after the implementation of the anti-reverse
> engineering... from my 1st hand experience, i would say the
> anti-reverse engineering is necessary, it should be part of design
> review/marketing scheme to ensure your tech leadership is not
> compromised. my 1.78 cents..  (By the way, as for high price of
> replacement parts, I agree with you... extended warrantee or service
> contract is much better if you have a critical equipments fall into R
> and O requirement - like aircraft).
>                jk
> On Oct 15, 2014, at 7:53 PM, Patrick Goodyear wrote:
>
>> As a technician I detest companies that provide proprietary
>> hardware, the reason I don't own Apple products.   Hp did this with
>> their early test equipment, but the would annually publish a cheat
>> sheet with their part numbers and a cross reference for products 5
>> years old.
>> If a company is so dang tight-a--ed that they need to guard the
>> secret, let them custom order the part with their part number or
>> whatever on it, Westinghouse did this in the '70's with a lot of  the
>> equipment they ordered custom from Burr-Brown, so they made  sure you
>> ordered their replacement part at their $$$$$$ price, case  in point
>> OP amp modules designated A1 labeled JT-21.
>>
>> Usually unless the part is unique as long as one has knowledge of
>> how it works it is easy to substitute a suitable replacement.
>>
>> Just my opinion.
>>
>> Pat Goodyear semi-retired control tech
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Craig Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>> I have a customer requirement to "apply an electronics grade epoxy
>>> over
>>> component x that will obscure part the part marking." They are
>>> trying to
>>> prevent reverse engineering of their product. There are of course a
>>> multitude of epoxies, but dispensing onto small ICs, etc., can be a
>>> challenge.
>>>
>>> I know about micro abrasion processes and such but I'm curious how
>>> others
>>> would handle this requirement?
>>>

>>> Craig Sullivan
>>>
>>> Manufacturing Engineer / IT Administrator
>>>
>>> Phone:  +1.607.266.0480 x115
>>>
>>> Fax:  +1.607.266.0482
>>>
>>> Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
>>>
>>> Web:   <http://www.mplinc.com/> www.mplinc.com
>>>

>>> MPL, Inc.
>>>
>>> 41 Dutch Mill Road  |  Ithaca  |  NY  |  14850
>>>
>>> P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>>>

>>>   _____
>>> Confidentiality Notice:
>>> This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information which
>>> is the
>>> property of MPL Incorporated, intended only for the use of the
>>> recipient(s). Unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is