TECHNET Archives

October 2014

From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2014 21:05:14 -0400
Pat, I might be on the dark side:  I do like proprietary hardware,
for example, ASIC always run faster than off the shelf programmable
chip (provide you have a good design team for ASIC), low power,
efficient foot print, package to tailor specific environment... if
you have volume to justify the design time and cost, I would take an
ASIC in a heart beat.  as for guard the secret to prevent reverse
engineering, i think it is definitely needed in current environment:
copycat just ripe off all the good engineering work easily.  In
addition, there are fakes around - deal with in the past with a
control chip that provides user timing/feedback control of voltage/
current adjusted output.  The "fake" actually went into the field to
collect the chip and mount on the unit sell them at a knock out price
(of course the reliability and calibration is completely off... but
there are cheapy chaps actually return some of faulty fake units for
R and O to the company ...), not until we figure out hard pot the IC
on  to the unit in such a way it was almost impossible to take it off
without damage the unit.... The sales went  up right after the
implementation of the anti-reverse engineering... from my 1st hand
experience, i would say the anti-reverse engineering is necessary, it
should be part of design review/marketing scheme to ensure your tech
leadership is not compromised. my 1.78 cents..  (By the way, as for
high price of replacement parts, I agree with you... extended
warrantee or service contract is much better if you have a critical
equipments fall into R and O requirement - like aircraft).
                jk