TECHNET Archives

September 2014

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:12:02 -0400
The specific part of IEC 62321 that deals with XRF testing is:
EN 62321-3-1:2014
"Only" $277 from the ANSI website.
http://webstore.ansi.org/FindStandards.aspx?SearchString=BS+EN+62321-3-1%3a2
014&SearchOption=0&PageNum=0&SearchTermsArray=null%7cBS+EN+62321-3-1%3a2014%
7cnull

Another thing about the handhelds is that if you are doing, for instance,
0201s you need to strip them out of the reel to make a little pile to have
enough surface area for the beam to hit.  And say you are doing an NPI run
and you only bought 125 but really "only" need 75 but had to strip 100 out
of your reel for the XRF RoHS testing - you are screwed.  Hopefully you are
rely using one of the "Chiclet" boxes for these parts.

A good XRF is also good for mercury and bromine.

I'm at home, so don't have our manual we put together, but the gold peak can
"interfere" with one of the infamous RoHS six if your machine does not have
good x-ray frequency resolution.

And more.  Put a leather holster in a box with a cell phone and the legal
weenies will tell you that it also must meet RoHS.  Put a leather holster
though an XRF to check it and you have a 80-85% chance of finding about 2%
chromium, since about 4/5ths of the world's leather is cured using chromium
III basic sulfate.  And of course XRF only tells you an element is present,
NOT its oxidation state. It can't tell the difference between pure Cr, Cr in
stainless steel, Cr+2, Cr+3, Cr+4, Cr+5 or Cr+6.

Cr(VI) testing ON METAL can be done using the method in
IEC 62321 Ed. 1.0 b:2008 "Electrotechnical products - Determination of
levels of six regulated substances (lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent
chromium, polybrominated biphenyls, polybrominated diphenyl ethers)", but
DON't use that for leather. It does not work.  Use ISO 17075 instead.

Regards,
Bev