TECHNET Archives

September 2014

From:
Ioan TEMPEA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ioan TEMPEA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:53:36 +0000
Graham,

I second Bev, after all is following his guidance that I've bought an XDAL about 7 years ago and never regretted it. A few other considerations:
- A hand held will not allow for many investigations, like checking a particular solder joint, as you can't really aim with it.
- When budgeting, make sure you include a few bucks for standards. The machine normally comes with those for the regular pure elements, but you will need to inspect plastics, labels, etc., which are not that obvious. Unfortunately I don't remember how much a standard costs.
- You will need to sell to your management the need for a full time XRF operator. I see you guys are an EMS and the more you inspect, the more your customers will want you to inspect and this takes time. It will not be a 1 hour a day twice a week type of thing. This hour will not even suffice to measure the carats of the jewelry that everybody in the shop will bring from home ;-)

Regards,

Ioan Tempea, P. Eng.
Manufacturing Engineer, Satellite Systems

MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Corporation, 21025 Trans-Canada Highway, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC, Canada H9X 3R2
Tel: +1-514-457-2150 x3556
www.mdacorporation.com

This e-mail, and any attachments, are intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain legally privileged, proprietary and/or confidential information. Any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments for any purposes that have not been specifically authorized by the sender is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete all copies and attachments. This email is for informational purposes only and shall not be interpreted to authorize or conclude a binding agreement between MDA and any other party unless this email contains or is accompanied by an express written confirmation of MDA's intention to enter into a binding agreement, such confirmation shall only be provided by an authorized representative of MDA.