TECHNET Archives

September 2014

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2014 11:34:21 -0400
In my experience, the copper, without HASL is worse than the HASL, for those
old printers and placers.
We resorted to machine eraser.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/sakura-cordless-electric-eraser/
We cleaned the board fiducials at receiving inspection.

Gold will be more repeatable but I would think a switch from HASL to ENIG
would be a major change. If it is a real simple design and HASL has good
yields, I would expect ENIG to introduce more problems than it solves. It
did in my case.  We probably could have resolved the soldering problems by
tweaking the reflow and wave settings. But, we went back to HASL. The buyer
and the plant manager made the call.

Immersion tin and immersion silver change color too. I bet your machines
would have trouble with it. My experience with this problem dates back to
the age of your old printers. Immersion Tin and Silver have been greatly
improved since then.

Wish I could be more help.