TECHNET Archives

September 2014

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:28:52 +0100
Yes - the Sn forms the brittle intermetallic with the Au not the Pb.
Arguably the reduced Sn content makes the Sn/Bi more affected as any Au
present would be at a higher relative concentration to the Sn. In can be
subbed for the Sn to avoid the Sn/Au problem, but may have some issues with
Cu according to your joint materials.  Low MP In based alloys are a little
slower to form joints than Sn based alloys and generally benefit from flux
designed for them.

Regards

Mike