TECHNET Archives

August 2014

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 14:56:48 +0000
Generally we just make sure the opposite side of the board has soldermask "encroaching" onto the via pad, as close to the hole as the board fabricator can get it without leaving mask in the hole.

The result is usually acceptable for moderately sized mounting pads, but there will be a little variability in the solder joint due to an unpredictable amount of solder flowing into the hole. For the most critical work, fill and cap is the only option.

Wayne