TECHNET Archives

August 2014

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 17:56:08 -0400
(1) 45 degree inclined crack with grain boundary sliding - some
kindly of cyclic stress due to possibly thermal expansion difference
between the module and board.  (either a large chip, or multi-chip
stack on module side... compare to the board of cte of 17ppm or so
for example).  The module must be very rigid or very flexable... -
look like rigid would be apply... just a guess.
(2) significant ppt of high melting phase prior to eutectic
formation, the solder ball material look  like is off eutectic Pb/Sn
with reballing cooling at low rate. - weak structually speaking.
(3) the operating temperature and environment may got something to do
with it.  - no info provided based on the email below.
just a guess.
        jk