TECHNET Archives

August 2014

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 21:37:16 +0000
Completely agree with Dave. The combination of thermal stress and mechanical stress both from CTE mismatch between the BGA body and the PWB is a given.
But there are also many examples of additional stresses imparted from the soldermask.
They all work together to cause the failure, sometimes more so one way than the other. It depends on the design, the part, the board, the solder alloy, the.............