TECHNET Archives

August 2014

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 22:33:20 +0000
About the time of the article you reference, Shawn, I remember hearing a radio story in 'Life on Earth' about the tetraethyl lead vs. ethanol contest.  Kettering, the inventor of the self-starter, was involved for GM. The reporter or interviewee made one statement that still rings in my ears, "And after all this, we now know that, not only was lead bad for people, it was bad for cars, too. One reason car engines last so long now is..." I don't remember the exact words after that, but the point was lead damaged engines.

About 10 years later I was at my wife's high school reunion, at dinner sitting across from a Ph. D. chemist who worked for a company that had made the tetraethyl lead.  I asked her to explain what the mechanism was whereby engines were attacked by it, if it were true. She said it was pretty common knowledge among her colleagues, and described the reactions, the interplay of water and breakdown products, the way chemists talk about things. Louis Hart