TECHNET Archives

August 2014

From:
"Wenger, George M. [Contractor]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M. [Contractor]
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 14:53:52 -0500
Many many years ago I was in a solder assembly class in the Western Electric Corporate Engineering Center and the instructor took a three foot length of Sn60Pb40 solder wire off a roll and wound one end off a nail at the top of the blackboard and wound the other end around a small weight and left it hang off the backboard.  He took a chalk and placed a mark on the blackboard where the bottom of the weight was.  He then continued his lecture and every 15 minutes made another mark on the blackboard where the bottom of the weight was.  I don't remember exactly how long his lecture was but it was a 2 hour class.  While he was talking before the class was over we heard a crash and saw that the weight had fallen to the floor and the solder wire had broke somewhere near the middle where its cross section was reduced due to gravity acting on the ductile metal.  He then finished his lecture about mechanical properties of solder and how when you put a mechanical stress on it you will get some ductile flow but when you exceed the yield strength of the solder it will crack and the cracks will occur at the weakest area (i.e., where the cross section is reduced).  He also indicated that in the next class we would cross section the broken ends of the solder wire and what we would find is that the besides the break occurring at the reduced cross sectional area where the stress would be concentrated we'd also find that the break or crack would be at grain boundries.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Failure Signature & Characterization Lab LLC
609 Cokesbury Road, High Bridge, NJ 08829
(908) 638-8771 Home  (732) 309-8964 Mobile
E-mail [log in to unmask]