TECHNET Archives

July 2014

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:20:34 -0400
Steve, if it is plating defect, you might not see on incoming board-
you need heat to drive the bubble pop open - get the trapped
subsurface material out - usually, a thin plate due to either
insufficient oxide removing, or a surface non wetting localized
defect due to chemical difference on the surface, such as air
bubbles, or large organic molecules, as plating additives... unless
you know the plating chemistry (down to the additive and pH
adjustment frequency, monitoring feedback loop, it hard to do FA -
something simple as one of the panel just not processed normally,
such as lifted in the air during coffee break... etc.etc.).
Best of luck John.  I am sure L3 got SEM/EDX somewhere or have access
to one without doubt. ;-)
           jk