TECHNET Archives

July 2014

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:27:04 +0000
Hi Victor-

No, I don't know of direct IPC standards on this. I'd think it would be in
the specification for your laminate (such as FR4). The laminates probably
list a maximum resin weight percentage. But that would be for the whole
shebang, obviously that falls apart when you get into a small enough area.

Just how small are you talking about?

Reasons for it happening:

-High flow pre-preg with very uneven metal loading from a vertical
perspective. (Unbalanced layer-to-layer unevenness results in warpage, but
if you had a whole lot of metal with edges all ending in the same spot on
each layer, then the resin would be displaced to the areas with less
copper.)

-Cutouts in pre-preg to accommodate cavities or other special structures.

-Poorly made laminate/prepreg. In that case, it should fail the spec on
resin weight percentage.

Wayne