TECHNET Archives

July 2014

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:35:47 -0400
Ron,

Are your techs attempting it with a soldering iron or a thermal jet?
Jetting is easist IMHO since you never touch the components with the hot
jet and only heat what needs heating, if done correctly the part will
self align.    Make sure you can adjust airflow to minimize side force
on the components soft and hot is the way to do it.     I haven't tried
stacked components but it works great on hair thin leads and SMT
components.   We had Pace PRC-2000 repair stations where I worked and
they had thermal jet units as part of the features.     I have also done
it with stand alone units but it is a little harder, less control.

pat goodyear
PG&E control technician, retired.