TECHNET Archives

July 2014

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2014 07:50:38 -0500
Hi guys - a couple of material tidbits - silver oxide is as conductive as
elemental silver (one of the cool elemental quirks of silver) but the
tarnish you are seeing is typically either chloride and/or sulfide based.
Silver sulfide can impact contact resistance for some sensitive circuit
applications. But in most applications, this condition is cosmetic as the
discussion as detailed.  Here is a good paper on the topic:

IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON PARTS, Electrical MATERIALS, AND PACKAGING, VOL.
PMP-6, NO. 4, DECEMBER 1970 129
Characteristics of Contacts Contaminated With Silver Sulfide Film, GEORGE
J. RUSS.

Dave