TECHNET Archives

July 2014

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:11:00 -0400
Ed,

I have a water jet but have never done depanelization,  cutting
fiberglass or composite we have done, it is all about how you stabilize
the material and how fast you cut.    Take a sample down, or up as the
case may be, to OMAX Corporation in Kent, WA they may be able to give
you a test cut demonstration, they will most likely want to sell you a
machine though.       OMAX corp is the machine I have, model 55100,
55X100 inch cutting travel.  Weighs in at 5 ton empty + 1800 gal of
water full.   But they may have a smaller machine set up for demo.    My
cut speed would be around 170" per minute, 1# abrasive and 1 gal water.

How large are the board panels and how many boards per panel?   Are they
all linear cuts?   Submersion in water ok?
The machine can cut above water but  it becomes a lot noisier.  Can it
be automated with a constant feed and the head just zipping back and
forth?  Are  the boards populated or just etched and drilled, how many
layers,  can they be stacked?

We manually load and unload our machine, all cutting is CnC, but then we
are cutting 5x10' panels of stuff, glass, aluminum, steel, granite, you
get the idea.

pat goodyear
PG&E retired, Creative-cutting.com