TECHNET Archives

July 2014

From:
Carl VanWormer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carl VanWormer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:41:58 +0000
I lucked-in to this answer!  Many years ago, I inherited a spool of Indium wire, which is currently resting on my "neat stuff" shelf in the basement.  While researching Indium, I was impressed with its ability to wet glass (although I've never tried it), and intrigued by the "cry" it was supposed to make when bent.  I tortured a few pieces, but was not very impressed at the slight sound it made.  Maybe I needed a bigger piece to play with.  When the word "cry" appeared in the weekly contest, I didn't have to think very hard for the answer . . .

Here are some videos about the sound and the physics of the "cry."

Deformation of Indium by Mechanical Twinning - Cry (0:04): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwFNTLRhgc

Tin Cry and Mechanical Twinning (3:40):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWIHR4pB9s

The boys were waiting for me when I arrived at 5:45, this morning.  They had picked the lock and the coffee was ready when I walked into the building!  During the work-days, I'll have them sorting the boxes in the stock-room, and then have them perform a quick-count on the inventory.  When they are done with that, they'll clean the solder-flux splash from the objective lenses of the microscope, and maybe get some of the dust cleaned from the internal lenses.  Evenings, I can have them cook dinners, giving my wife a rest, and then (after they've finished cleaning up), they can go down to the basement workshop and build up the next group of ShortSniffer cables.  They have more energy and much better work ethics than my kids ever did . . .
Thanks,
Carl

Carl B. Van Wormer, P.E., AE7GD
Senior Hardware Engineer