TECHNET Archives

June 2014

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2014 21:53:01 -0400
As a former technician specializing in Nuclear Instrumentation equipment
I have seen numerous examples of flux wicking causing embrittelment,
also causes moisture to intrude sometimes causing corrosion.   Most of
the equipment is 1970 vintage so it has passed most electronics
practical lifetime, however for the nuclear industry, it is a standard
to have instrumentation that old.    We religiously  clean and inspect
every connection every 5 years and replace a few out of thousands.
There is a tool that can be used to stop the solder and flux from
wicking up the insulation. a pair of self closing tweezers with a little
cup on the end to fit over the insulation and around the wire, but it
doubles the soldering time.   I have found that tinning carefully, and
tinning the connection  point, cleaning both with 200 proof and then
adding only enough flux to allow clean reflow works best, again cleaning
with 200 proof.    I have found in my 40++ years of working on
electronics that nothing cleans better with no residue then 200 proof
grain alcohol, added benefit it dries the connection as it will absorb
any residual moisture.

pat goodyear
Control Technician Retired.