TECHNET Archives

June 2014

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:27:11 -0400
What is "significant"?
Developing an ESD control program should include an evaluation of how
sensitive the parts, the assemblies, or equipment actually is.
The S20.20 is effective for handling parts sensitive to 100V HBM or higher.
An organization may which to tailor a plan based on a sensitivity
assessment.

ESD TR20.20 2008 handbook: "Hand tools are usually grounded through the ESD
work surface and the grounded person using the conductive tool.  Insulative
coatings may be an ESD concern for extremely ESD sensitive devices . . . .
If gloves or finger cots are used, the material should be conductive or
dissipative. Gloves and finger cots that are low charging material but
insulative should not be permitted."

I would treat the solder wire roll with the same respect due to an
insulative coating. If my ESD controls system were specified to be
appropriate for handling items with sensitive to events over 500V HBM, I
would not worry about it. I would be more concerned by with very sensitive
components. Then, I might set up rules for the spool and wire that dissipate
any charge by air ionization equipment.