TECHNET Archives

June 2014

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2014 16:36:02 -0500
I agree with Ben - the desire to not have open vias or dimples in BGA pads
is to avoid having void formation but per the IPC-JSTD-001 specification,
voids are not necessarily defects unless they exceed 25% of the Xray image
area. As Ben detailed, adding an unnecessary board fabrication requirement
comes with a cost.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins