TECHNET Archives

June 2014

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 15:01:46 -0400
Hi,

Does anyone know of any references on how  insulation in a small coil (EFD10
transformer) should be specified?

We have a small coil design where we use #36 and #32 wire. The #36 wire I
had on my shelf had insulation that failed at about 400V. I test by taping a
short length of wire directly on copper clad board. I purchased some Quad
Build that had a 4650V rating and it passes when I test to 6000V. Likewise a
single layer of polyester  transformer tape also withstands 6000V.

The Question:

  With the above wire ratings and measurements what is the appropriate
rating for the final core for 60 second maximum voltage? Assume 2 coils with
a single layer of tape between them.

Also: I have been impregnating the coils with a 4000V / mil thermosetting
varnish using a small vacuum fixture.

Thanks,

Bob K.