TECHNET Archives

April 2014

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 23:27:48 +0000
Good old days 20 years ago, the coupons I saw were located on the panel cut off edge, and center, it consists of the critical design feature of the board: PTH, wire bendable gold pads, osp covered fine pitch, etc. You take the coupon, do 10 thermal shock, get open short electrical test followed by cross section . Some of virgin sample you do tg, cte measurements if it was a new design. Follow on shipments, you just need to do 10-15 wirebonds, match up with certificate from the vendor in term of wire pull strength, and electrical test. You random check for x-section and tg (use tma,so you get cte as well, any poor cured PWB would shown). Both party, the user and the supplier understood, the certificate is based on the cross section on file, ready for review on moment of notice. You pay a bit more to get it all in the contractual agreement, save a lot of money and you sleep well at night.   Hardly have any problem. However, the design also fully aware of not push boundaries.   Bleeding edge technology is not good practice. Both party make money, live happily ever after (allow you to work on some bleeding edge technology... otherwise, you just spent a lot of dough and try to catch your tails. - "pay me less, pay me now. Pay me more and pay me later... unless, some one just turn a blind eye and wait for field returns).

"All professional skills are mastered by critiqued practice" - by Schon.