TECHNET Archives

April 2014

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:10:06 -0400
Hi,

 I would disagree that it varies "Much" but you do need to do a little math.

 Knowing your PCB material you know the thermal conductivity, that is your
key parameter. This lavers of copper on internal layer don't help much
though for a small part, like an SOT-23 they will help spread the heat.
Spreading the heat gives a greater area cross section with which you apply
to your thermal conductivity formula.

 My experience with an Al backed board is that those thin copper foils do
not conduct out from the part very well, many .25 inch or so. While thermal
conductivity of FR4 is about .3 w/m k  and copper is 1000 time that, the
cross section of a copper foil is only 1% that of a 10 x 10 mm square
through the board. So the thermal resistance through a PCB is in the same
order as the thermal resistance through a solid copper plane! (Someone
please check my math!)

You can take two VERY important design steps:

 1. Use a thin PCB laminate.

 2. Use a thermally conductive laminate.

Then, if your device is small (sot-23 type size copper on top AND internal
layers will help spread heat.

 Use LOTS of tiny vias to tie your top side copper (directly under the part,
not around the sides) to both internal planes and bottom side copper. I am
assuming you have a very thin insulating layer between bottom side copper
and the Al plate so bottom copper to Al thermal resistance will be very
low.. The many thin walls on the vias will suck down heat well. Avoid the
idea of big holes filed with solder. Solder has about 10% or the thermal
conductivity of copper. You want a lot of little vias each with a copper
wall running top to bottom.

 With a DPAK sized device on .5mm thick thermally conductive laminate and
with a lot of tiny vias I was able to get about 1C/Watt from DPAK tap to
Aluminum backing. Now think about that. That means I can dump 40 Watts from
a DPAK without any type of mounting hardware, screws, clamps, or epoxies.
Just regular old SMT reflow of the part.

Bob K