TECHNET Archives

April 2014

From:
SALA GABRIELE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, SALA GABRIELE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2014 23:34:41 +0200
Juliano, you're right,

for PCB the Sensitivity Level are not available. Too many variables could
influence the M-Sensitivity. I found literature attributing MSL-3 at least.
It could be, but how we are sure about the kind of laminate, amountof
prepreg, % of resin, % of fibreglass or copper, PCB size and thickness,
number of layers, and so on. All PCB/PWB are different among them.
Then establish the MAMC( Maximum Acceptable Moisture Content) acceptable for
those PCB.
Best way to define the MAMC is indicated in the IPC-TM-650 2.6.28 attached
to IPC-1601 ( or downloadable from IPC for free).
Not so easy test to perform if Laminate Witness Coupons ( see IPC-1601 4.2.5
) are not available on your PCB (Panel)
I know, you now are in front a practical problem to solve and not have time
to spend on theories, but that is the right way to understand the technique.

Other points, which kind of packaging is protecting your PCB ?  Dray Pack ?
Real Dry Pack ? or simply thermal shrinkable PE or PET with a very weak
material thickness on corner of package ? bottom PE pluryball?  etc...

Also, those PCB have to withstand SnPb or Pb Free Reflow temperature ? More
critical situation in case of moisture entrapped in PCB when Pb Free Reflow.

Be careful, by experience, often HIC dos not tell you the real moisture
content inside PCBs. It exist difference in % moisture absorbed, according
to if PCB is on top of pile, inside the middle or bottom of packaging
(pile). By following the TM-650 2.6.28 I discovered interesting moisture
absorption behaviours among PCB packaged inside same pack.
HIC is a good help but some time gives misleading indications, be careful
when interpreting it ( by experience).

Do not forget also there are fake HICs running around.

Check the fabrication Data Code of your PCB, if not so old, don't worry so
much . Just to stay quite, if you have an oven available, do a light bake,
Max 125°C  8h or less. Pile-up  the PCB inside the oven max 25 mm tall.
Once bake is completed, leave PCB in the oven until room temperature
(almost) will be reached, then remove and use (reflow) very quickly, as soon
as possible. Remember, no need to totally dry-off the PCB, just keep the
MAMC at the appropriate %, considering also if Pb o PB free reflow
temperature those PCBs have to withstand

If PCB  fabrication Data Code is too old, I suggest you to follow TM
650-2.6.28 before to guess if bake need to be done or not. Some time is
better not perform PCB bake then perform it in a wrong way.

etc...

Gabriele