TECHNET Archives

March 2014

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:45:31 +0000
Francesco, I looked into what sounds like a similar problem ~1.73-1.88 years ago. Technet contributors provided a lot of information and help, but we never reached a convincing conclusion. Best I can say for the moment is that I would hesitate to blame the solder paste too quickly. The next step in our work would have been FTIR analysis of the surfaces, which we did not perform. One thing I have learned in the interim is that a BGA pad has area less than or equal to the minimum that required to perform FTIR with standard instruments. I understand micro-FTIR instruments would do the job.

Maybe we will hear more from TechNet after tomorrow. I suspect many are at IPC EXPO.

Louis Hart