TECHNET Archives

March 2014

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 16:32:54 +0000
Chances are if every panel has an X-out, there is a single root cause (design issue), and switching board houses might be the last thing you want to do. Better to work the issue with the board house who understands the issue, and perhaps can tell you WHY every panel has at least one X-out.

On the other hand, if there are many X-outs for a variety of different reasons that can be traced back to violation of the process controls throughout the PWB supply chain, and the root cause is because the proper methods were not used to validate the prepreg, the copper foil, the laminate, the plate-up process, and so on and so forth from A to Z, as defined by the pertinent IPC standards for each of these stages, and the user does not intend to make sure all of this is being done properly with a different supplier, then what for?

So, whether there are just a few or many X-outs, for a single cause or for multiple causes, switching fabricators may not be the best option in any case. You need to know all the facts, and without some type of auditing, you never will know all the facts.