TECHNET Archives

March 2014

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 21:15:37 +0000
The plain language requirements for conformal coating are:
Coating shall be where it is required to be, and there shall not be any coating where it isn't required.

J-STD-001E Clause 10.1.1 Application Coating shall [D1D2D3] be applied in a continuous manner TO ALL AREAS DESIGNATED FOR COVERAGE ON
THE ASSEMBLY DRAWING/DOCUMENTATION.

IPC-A-610E Clause 10.8.2 Acceptable - Class 1,2,3 Coating only in those areas WHERE COATING IS REQUIRED. Defect - Class 1,2,3 Coating is on areas required to be free of coating, e.g., mating surfaces, adjustable hardware, wicking into connector housings, etc.

If the drawings/documentation don't require coating J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610 don't separately cause a requirement for coating.

Jack Crawford
Certification and Assembly Technology
IPC - Association Connecting Electronic Industries®
3000 Lakeside Dr. Suite 309S
Bannockburn, IL 60015
847-597-2893
Fax 847-615-5693