TECHNET Archives

March 2014

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:47:29 -0500
Hi Todd - I don't know of any solder joint pull tests that have minimum
and/or typical values associated with the method. As you detailed, there
are a bunch of variables that can influence the measured tensile value
that you record for a given test. There are a number of investigations
that have published pull test data but it was used in a comparison mode -
a gold finished pin versus a palladium finished pin for a specific test
vehicle/cross head speed/specific diameter. One data source that might be
of use is the International Tin Research Institute Publication No. 656
which contains a wealth of shear and tensile data for several solder
alloys and test parameters. Most of that data is based on copper "ring and
plug" solder joints. Perhaps some of that data could be useful for your
efforts.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins