TECHNET Archives

March 2014

From:
"MacFadden, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, MacFadden, Todd
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:04:13 +0000
Is anyone aware of standards for conducting and evaluating lead pull tests, and are there typical expected lead pull (or push) values for the common interconnects (i.e., gull wing, castellation, BGA, chip cap terminals, etc).

Perhaps there are too many variables -- e.g., type, finish, configuration and size of the lead; solder type, etc. -- to establish standard pull strength values. We've always just used relative comparison of values from sample lots against controls, but I'm wondering if there are typical expected pull strength values from industry we can reference.

I noted from MIL-STD-1580B: 10.1.1.2 Terminal strength. Perform a lead pull strength test on all parts (two parts minimum) in accordance with the applicable specification. But what is the "applicable specification" being referred to here?

Thanks in advance!
Todd MacFadden