TECHNET Archives

March 2014

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:59:09 -0600
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:17:25 -0500, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jack,
>
>All good responses thus far - George's books will provide a great deal of
>process and reliability considerations, as well as some plating info.  Mil
>Std 883 will define visual criteria, pull strengths, and ball shear
>strengths.  ASTM F458, 459,  and 1269 essentially repeat the Mil Std.  I'm
>sure there is an IPC, JEDEC, or something spec which also repeats the Mil
>Std, but I'm an ol' Mil Std boy and I don't know what the other ones are,
>off the top of my head.
>
>Can you clarify a bit more specifically what you are looking for?
>
>Are you looking for plating detail, wire bonding process detail,
>design/layout details, packaging options etc.?
>
>It is my observation that one doesn't want to just casually get into wire
>bonding.  Checking things out is a good first step.
>

>Steve Creswick
>Sr Associate - Balanced Enterprise Solutions
>http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevencreswick
>                         616 834 1883

oops... I just noticed this in my mailbox,
I'm sorry and embarrassed that I didn't respond!

Well, I'm a board designer and have very little interaction with assembly processes, but I want to make sure my board fabrication drawing says what it needs to, as far as the bare board plating goes and anything else I need to know about it, and I was nervous because this is my first design that needs that kind of process.

I confess I copied a note from another successful project (not designed here, but using the same mfg partners) but then felt guilty about not knowing more about the subject. It seems like IPC tries to cover just about everything, at least enough to provide a starting place (from my experience, anyway) which is why I asked about IPC.

Anyway, I now have the book that was recommended,
I appreciate the responses,
and sorry for the delay!

Jack