TECHNET Archives

March 2014

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2014 17:54:48 +0200
Ioan

I think your concern is not consequential. Solder balls, if they are
fine enough to be suspended and not just sink to the bottom of the tank,
they will almost certainly be mechanically trapped in the resin column
as is dust and other particulate matter, during regeneration. Of more
concern may be the metal/flux reaction products; these will be mostly
ionic tin (possibly copper) salts and will be captured during
regeneration. Most lead organics (or inorganics) are almost insoluble
(except lead formate and acetate, which I would be surprised to find on
an assembly) but their ionic polarity is so weak that they may not be
removed entirely during regeneration if any should happen to be present
(very unlikely, especially if your cleaning process is reasonably good).

Frankly, it is my belief that cross-contamination is a red herring and
nothing to worry about.

Brian