DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:34:53 -0500
I'm not disputing anything Marc said, but in my opinion Table 6-1 is one of
the weakest in the IPC "foundation".
If you ever hear Dieter tell the story of how the table came to be, you'll
wonder what the final numbers mean
(except for the empirical evidence that people have been using them for
decades with no serious consequences)

but even using your own common sense, look at column 1 (or B1):
100 volts needs 4 mils clearance, but 101 volts needs 8 mils?
absurd.

Regardless, I doubt the originators of the table ever intended those
numbers to mean the spacing in the vertical direction,
since that separation would be real insulating material with minimum
thickness requirement,
What was needed was a guideline for conductors in the same plane (edge to
edge spacing),
with variable air, solder mask material or conformal coating between.

So I know I'm not helping you Larry, but I wonder if scientific data would
show that
clearance ACROSS a material should be different than THROUGH a material.

just my opinion, but Table 6-1 needs to be revisited.

Jack