DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dean Stadem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2014 08:37:58 -0500
For flip chips, all of the designs I have ever worked with in the past 20 years have been with no soldermask at all inside of the flip chip component area. Typically there is just an open box in the mask, and all of the pads/traces are exposed. We have processed literally millions of flip chips this way, with very, very few failures associated with the flip chips, better than 6 sigma.
For larger CSP packages where the mask is present under the component, we always use non-soldermask defined pads. For these, misregistration is seldom a problem, provided the fabricator knows what they are doing.
Years ago Werner Englemaier was my manager for a few months on a high-rel flip chip design/development project. He showed me firsthand just how soldermask-defined pads can literally extrude the flip chip solder balls straight up in a vertical manner with only 40 cycles at   -20+100C. We made a benchmark cut, cycled 10 times, performed a microsection across 4 solder balls, cycled another 10 times, made another cut, etc. until we had five successive cuts, using three flip chips on the board. All three components started out with a 2 to 2.5 mil spacing above the soldermask. After 40 cycles they had risen to 4.5 mils, and nearly all of the solder joints had failed. In the first cut, none of the solderballs showed any cracks prior to cycling, but by the time 20 cycles had been completed there were cracks propogating along the pad/ball connection on all of the solder balls in the 3rd cut.
We only had to make a single cut on the non-soldermask defined samples, and that was after 100 cycles. The microsection on those looked exactly the same after 100 cycles as they did on the initial benchmark cut prior to cycling.
At that time, I found it hard to believe something as soft as soldermask could possibly put that much pressure on the solderballs, but after I saw those microsections I was forever convinced.