DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Karl Bates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:18:18 -0500
Larry,My opinion below:
I've been working on this problem myself, and would like to hear what the community thinks also.I did a quick search using google with these keywords ".5mm pitch bga guideline"turned up some good info.I believe that most recommend a .25mm (10 mil) pad, do not recommend soldermask defined pads.The soldermask defined pads I have heard cause fractures at the contact (soldermask doesn't allow the solderball to slump over the pad).If at all possible, fan out the first two rows using a 3 mil trace / 3.5 mil space.    Then fan in (if possible), or offset the via from the bga pad.Use a 10 mil via pad with a 5 mil laser hole (no soldermask opening).     I would use the same size solderpaste opening for the bga pad, and let the assembly fabricator adjust as necessary.
http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN10778.pdfhttp://www.ti.com/lit/an/sprabb3/sprabb3.pdfhttp://www.latticesemi.com/~/media/Documents/ApplicationNotes/PT/PCBLayoutRecommendationsforBGAPackages.pdf?document_id=671

Karl