TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2014 07:27:34 -0600
Arnaud,
You are welcome.  You can find this information in the newly published
IPC-HDBK-830 Rev A, The Conformal Coating Handbook.   If I recall
correctly, it is also found in IPC-HDBK-840, the Solder Mask Handbook. You
will not find it in IPC-SM-840 (solder mask) or IPC-CC-830 (coating),
because the problem is always the other guys fault.  If you are a solder
mask guy, the fault is the coating.  If you are a coating guy, the fault
is the mask.  The reason that it is not in the solder mask spec is that
the surface energy is often more dependent on how the material was
applied, processed and developed, more so than one of the material
characteristics.  Since the intelligence of the solder mask processing is
beyond the control of the solder mask vendor, it is not part of SM-840.

There is an ASTM standard from which the dyne pens are pulled: ASTM-D-2578
? 08  Standard Test Method for Wetting Tension of Polyethylene and
Polypropylene Films.  That ASTM method will tell you how to make your own
calibrated alcohol solutions.  I find it easier to buy a set every year
rather than having to store some of the chemicals year after year.

Doug Pauls