TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:14:35 -0500
Lars,

In my working career we had issues with a SCR mounted in a heat sink
bolted to a single sided board much like C, normal cycling not sure how
many but over 10 years the solder would crack at the lead land juncture.
So with that in mind I would say the best solution is, B, however the
leads may break at the component.     If you could keep the poly out
from under the cap would be best.   Next best would be to incorporate
stress relief between the base of the cap and the board and stand the
cap off the board slightly, using the poly to support the cap weight.
It also matters whether the cap is mounted vertical or horizontal in
relation to gravity.     We had a group of boards edge mounted in a card
cage and the large block caps fell off of the boards over time, 50 or so
of them.    Ended up replacing that type and using RTV to support them.

pat