TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:15:07 -0600
Raye,

We use GFI outlet boxes for powering AC powered products under test, we use a double gang box, one side is a on/off switch and the other is a GFI outlet. The GFI outlet will protect the tester / tech from accidently contacting a hot node and ground (through the bench / wrist strap, although wrist straps have built in resistance to limit current hazards). Unfortunately, they won't protect if someone touches both hot and neutral on the product being tested.

As others have noted, an isolation transformer will also prevent a current path to ground, but at a higher cost. Tiger Direct sells the Tripp Lite units, 250VA to 100VA, at a few hundered US $ each. You can buy isolation transformers and put the AC connectors on them for less, but it wont be as fancy looking.

Blair