TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:02:09 -0500
Paul,

I would have loved to bond to bare aluminum if we didn't also have to mess
with those pesky passive components that people always seem to want to put
on the boards as well!

I know that aluminum can be plated, but I don't know the specifics of if it
would work in vias as well.  Likely be easier with large vias rather than
plugged vias though - will leave that to the platers, but would be good to
check for yourself.

This may be totally out in left field, but why not just use a normal copper
process and ENIG plate?  Good for Al wedge bonding and good for soldering...
And the board construction process is generic.

Steve Creswick
Sr Associate - Balanced Enterprise Solutions
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevencreswick
                         616 834 1883